First let me start with saying that back in May when I shared this heartfelt post about Taylor, I got his age wrong. If that’s not a true reflection of my state of mind I don’t know what is. He is 36, I am 35. I feel bad for messing that up but it is not a reflection of how well I know my husband (or his birth year) but probably more a reflection of my state of mind. I swear I have forgotten how old I am more than once. Kids, man.
Taylor has finally fully embraced my theory that birthdays should last a week and he did a great job of making my week awesome. I got flowers (more than once), had numerous yummy desserts, I haven’t cooked in a several days, and we even had a night off while my mom kept the kids. I wish I could tell you we did something crazy but, instead we had what I consider a perfect night..HomeGoods, a simple dinner out, and then home for a movie. It was perfect.
Anyway today is my official birthday and in honor I want to share the 35 things I feel I have learned over my 35 years. I will say that I think the 30’s are the best for a lot of reasons. Maybe it’s just the combination of having settled down, having kids, and finding a passion, but the 30’s have been really fun. It’s true, you cut the BS in your 30’s (or at least start to) and it’s refreshing. I am in no rush to get through this decade but I am thankful that I have learned what I have so far.
1. You can’t please everyone all the time. Mine as well start with a cliche. I am people pleaser but I have finally realized that my energy is best spent other places.
2. Running is the best therapy hands down. Even at my slow pace.
3. Changes, even when they change things in a way you don’t like, keep life interesting.
4. Marriage is not what I expected and I will never have it figured out. It’s ok. I will just treat it as the longest/best class of my life.
5. Having a relationship with God is the center of everything for me.
6. Having sisters is the best thing that ever happened to me!
7. Being in the moment is the hardest but most important thing I can do.
8. Worry really does accomplish nothing.
9. Watching reality tv is ok…no more feeling defensive about it.
10. It’s ok to create distance between myself and people who drain me.
11. A bowl of cereal every night is the best comfort food.
12. A good night’s sleep is crucial.
13. A sense of humor is the first quality I look for in a person.
14. Never say never…your thoughts on someone/something can change with time.
15. Setting goals is what is going to keep me feeling young and I hope to always do it!
16. It doesn’t take a lot of effort to smile at someone.
17. Be thankful for the little things…a green light, nice weather, finding money in the laundry.
18. It’s a lot easier to bite my tongue than to apologize for saying too much later.
19. Spiders are scary. End of story.
20. A good song can turn any mood around.
21. Every now and then, make something just for fun.
22. Know your limits and be ok with saying “no”
23. It’s ok to have Taco Bell once in a while.
24. Real friends will tell you when you’re being crazy. They’ll also know when to lie and tell you you’re right. You need both!
25. Men will never think like women.
26. Having an organized closet makes everything right in the world.
27. Be who I am and be kind. Pretty simple.
28. I am convinced my DNA changes when I am near the ocean. It’s my happy place.
29. Just give people the benefit of the doubt…it takes too much effort to be bitter.
30. Take time to be lazy once in awhile. Doing nothing is good for the soul.
31. Take breaks from your phone.
32. Give compliments.
33. Be able to accept compliments and believe them!
34. Love people even when they disappoint you.
35. Relationships are everything in life. Spend time with the people you love distraction free!